4 Ballistic Strength Drills For Optimal Athletic Function
- Are you in search of a way to build a stronger more athletic body?
- Are you interested in learning how to build both “show and go” muscle?
- Are you interested in learning how to incorporate drills and exercises to help you move faster and with greater ease?
- Are you interested in learning how to express your strength abilities in ways to help you excel in life and sport?
The key to being strong is recognizing that strength goes beyond just the numbers on the blackboard. Strength is also about being able to produce force rapidly and with quick reaction time. This requires you practicing and incorporating ballistic strength drills to train your body and neuromuscular system to produce such ability. The key to force production is practice and practice is something I wanted to include here in today’s article to help you to do just that!
Ballistic Strength Drills
1) Medicine Ball Power Slams: This is a simple strength drill that you can employ to develop more ballistic movement and power. The drill is relatively simple, but that is not to be confused with being easy.
Start out holding a soft jam medicine ball above your head with your body fully extended. From here rapidly hinge your hips and bend your knees bring your body into a squat as you forcefully drive the medicine ball into the ground.
Try to catch the medicine ball on the first small bounce and immediately extend your body standing back up to perform a subsequent slam driving the ball back into the ground.
Perform 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps on your ballistic power training days.
2) Overhead Medicine Ball Throw: This ballistic strength drill is an absolute beast for helping you build athletic function. Opposite of the medicine ball power slams this drill begins in the squat position with your hands cupping the sides of the medicine ball.
From here you want to explosively jump up as you create as much momentum as possible to throw the ball over your head with as much height and distance as possible. This ballistic strength drill is tremendous for athletic function as you are initiating triple extension of your ankles, knees, and hips to pull it off. Triple extension of these joints for speed and power is essential for developing quality athleticism.
3) Glide Disc Mountain Climbers: This particular ballistic strength movement does involve a bit more of a speed component. However, the benefits of this movement are huge for developing athletic function.
For this drill all you need are a couple of furniture disc movers, or training glide discs that easily slide over carpet. From here you want to place the balls of your feet on the center of the discs and get into an upright push up position.
You want to brace your body and with speed and precision rapidly alternate pulling your knees to your chest and extending your legs for speed. Including this drill in attempt to build your athletic strength is going to be a shot in the arm. Trust me…this will change the way you move and function.
4) Plyometric Push-up Off A Bench: This is truly a ballistic strength drill to enhance your upper body power and hand speed. If you’re into martial arts, or a sport where you need to have fast hands then this is just the drill for you.
By performing the plyometric push-up off of the bench you are taking a lot of stress and compressive forces off of your wrists and elbows as more weight is distributed to your legs. In addition to this the bench allows for you to gauge your explosive strength as you can really tell how far off the bench you can push your body.
A few things to consider: When performing these make sure your body stays in alignment from your shoulders to your ankles and that you NOT break this alignment in the ascent of the push-up as your hands elevate from the bench.
Ballistic Strength Drills: The Takeaway
If you’re serious about building your athletic function then you have got to be willing to utilize ballistic strength movements to bridge the gap between your heavy lifting with the iron and what you can do for real world athletic function in both your life and sport.
Are you currently training with ballistic strength movements?
What ballistic strength exercises are you using in your current program?
Post up and share here in the comments below.
To put this all together make sure you take advantage of my new killer training programs here below! The first is my new 30 Introductory HIIT Workouts training program. The second is a 210 Day training bundle!
Introducing Brand NEW Product!
Click Here To Get My 30 Introductory HIIT Workouts
Or Click On Image Here Below
Also make sure you take advantage of my more comprehensive new 120 Day Functional Fitness Training Program right here below! I guarantee it’ll get you into the best shape of your life, or I’ll give you your money back no questions asked.
Also for a LIMITED TIME ONLY if you order my 120 Day Functional Fitness Plan you will be able to take advantage of my special discount bundle consisting of…
CLICK HERE TO ORDER MY 120 DAY PLAN TO POWERFUL FUNCTIONAL FITNESS!!!
It’s changing lives already!
Click On Image Here
5 Simple Ways To Measure Your Functional Fitness
3 Functional Strength Drills For Fitness And Performance
4 Guaranteed Ways To Get A Functionally Strong Body
5 Unique Strength Drills To Enhance MMA Performance And Serious Fitness
5 Short Burst Time Efficient HIIT Workouts
3 Push Up Variations To Give You Knock Out Punching Power For MMA And Combat
Click on all images below…
If you’re looking to enhance your fitness for MMA and martial arts then make sure to check out my
90 Day MMA Strength And Conditioning Program Here.
Get ONNIT kettlebells here: (Click On Image)
For the absolute best solution for chronic and acute severe muscle and joint pain make sure to get your bottle of CobraZol Sport. It’s the absolute best product on the market and it’s been scientifically proven to alleviate muscle and joint pain having two double blind placebo studies done here in the U.S. being one of the only…if not the only topical pain reliever to have this kind of science behind hit.
Click On Image Here